European Federation of Organisations for Medical Physics (EFOMP)
The European Federation of Organisations in Medical Physics (EFOMP) was founded in May 1980 in London to serve as an umbrella to all National Member Organisations (NMOs) in Europe. The current membership covers 35 national organisations and 3 affiliated national organisations which together represent more than 5000 physicists and engineers working in the field of Medical Physics.
- to foster and coordinate the activities of National Member Organisations, collaborating with national and international organisations,
- to encourage exchange and dissemination of professional and scientific information, and exchange of Medical Physicists between countries,
- to develop guidelines for education, training and accreditation programmes, to make recommendations on the responsibilities, organisational relationships and roles of Medical Physicists,
- to encourage the formation of Organisations for Medical Physics where such organisations do not exist,
- to to work for Europe-wide recognition of Medical Physics as a regulated profession in all member states as well as Medical Physics as a health care profession
The mission of the Federation is
- to harmonize and advance medical physics both in its professional clinical and scientific expression throughout Europe,
- to strengthen and make more effective the activities of the NMOs by bringing about and maintaining systematic exchange of professional and scientific information, by the formulation of common policies, and by promoting education and training programmes.